It is time to solve Milwaukee’s transit crisis
It is time to establish Regional Transit Authorities (RTAs), and solve Milwaukee’s transit problems once-and-for-all. By voting for bills currently in play in Madison (SB 511 and AB 723) legislators would give county officials home rule authority to vote to establish RTAs and dedicated funding sources within their counties.
Creation of RTAs is crucial for several reasons: (I) it provides $20 million in actual property tax relief through the removal of transit funding from the property tax rolls. No other major metropolitan area in this nation funds transit with property taxes, nor should we; (2) it saves the Milwaukee County Transit System (MCTS) from certain demise. MCTS is burdened with the highest bus fares and annual cuts in service because of the twin pressures of the property tax freeze and the rising costs of state mandates. Only the creation of dedicated transit revenue will save this transit system; (3) it creates a truly regional transit system that serves the corporate, employment, and retail transportation needs of this community. Nearly as many vehicles ride into and out of Milwaukee during rush hour. This reflects the truly regional nature of transportation in this metropolitan area. Other metropolitan areas in the country have RTAs for this very reason. As the corporate executives of Roundy's Foods, Northwestern Mutual Co., Bucyrus International, and others have expressed, it is long overdue for businesses in this region have the advantages of a truly regional RTA, a benefit that corporations elsewhere in the country have profited from for many years.
Milwaukee County Treasurer
- Fire Fighters Urge Caution Near Fireworks on Independence Day
- Ken Skowronski Leads 82nd District GOP Primary Field in Fundraising
- Muttley Crew rescue dog missing in Oak Creek
- Team Wendy Named Gold Spokes Team for 2013 Bike MS Fundraising Efforts
- IRS Warns of Tax Scam Targeting Wisconsin Residents
- Protecting the Root River Waterway
- Changes Coming to Hales Corners Fire Department & Milwaukee County EMS System
- RCMF Distributes Monetary Grants to Community Organizations
- WIC Clinics Improve Health of Women, Infants, and Children
- Merging The Military And Diplomacy Onboard The U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Eagle