The Hales Corners Woman’s Club has awarded $5,000 to nine community service organizations and $2,000 in scholarships to graduating high school seniors. The grants were made possible because of various fundraising activities the club has held throughout the year.
Receiving the scholarships were Kayla Voelkel and Rachel Kornhoff, both graduating this month from Whitnall High School.
Presentations to the following Hales Corners groups were: Hales Corners Library, for the summer reading program - $750; Stahl-Conrad Homestead, for upgrades to Homestead, particularly for handicapped children - $600; Friends of the Hales Corners Pool - $250; Hales Corners Police Department, for the D.A.R.E. program - $300; Hales Corners Fire Department, for purchase of GPS systems to help in response to mutual aid calls - $400.
Other awards to area communities include: Trimborn Farm Park - $300; Southwest Interfaith - $650; Sojourner Truth House - $750; Women’s Center of Waukesha - $1,000.
Each year a Project Study Committee reviews applications for financial awards and makes its recommendations, based on the amount of funds available. This past year’s fundraisers included the annual poinsettia sale; rummage sale; participation in the Brat House at Sentry store; and two bake sales, held in conjunction with the Whitnall Rotary Club’s craft fairs.
Membership is open to all women living in Hales Corners and surrounding communities. To apply for membership for the 2009-1010 year, or for more information, contact Arlene Kaiser, 414-425-2345, or Aldona Fischer, 414-421-1060.
- 2017 Franklin Flame Fastpitch tryouts
- Welcome Pokemon Go Players
- Magician Tim Stolba to Perform at Oak Creek Public Library
- KIDS From Wisconsin to Rock New Berlin West Aug. 19
- Melinda Myers to Present Twice Daily at The Wisconsin State Fair
- Queen of Diamonds Fastpitch Tryouts
- Annual Festival at Polonia Sport Club
- Croatian Eagles Team Wins Interational Tournament
- Support Law Enforcement Families on July 27 at the Point After!
- Ebenezer's Pareting Tip: What is Helicopter Parenting?