Betty Andrews Storey, a member of the Hales Corners Historical Society since its inception in 1974 and its first corresponding secretary, will present the society's program on Wednesday, February 2, 7:00 p.m., in the Hunt Room of the Hales Corners Library, 5885 S. 116th St. The event is free and open to the public.
Storey's topic is the Civilian Conservation Corps, 1933-1942. The Corps was a New Deal program established by FDR to reduce unemployment among young men and to preserve the nation's natural resources.
The presentation will include information about the economics of the time, national projects, and development of eight state parks in Wisconsin. Milwaukee area projects included Camp Whitnall and the Milwaukee County parks system. Information will be provided on how to obtain records of an enrollee in the CCC.
Storey has been doing genealogy research for more than 25 years. She has published four genealogies related to her family names. The last one, on Andrews, her maiden name, took more than 20 years to compile and ended up being 3300 pages.
A volunteer with many interests and talents, Storey has served as a manuscript processer at the Milwaukee City Archives located at the downtown Central Library for 15 years. She is a volunteer for Irish Fest, Early Music Now, Wehr Nature Center, Urban Ecology Center, and the Milwaukee Art Museum. Her recent training as a "citizen naturalist" allows her to "officially" remove garlic mustard, buckthorn, and honeysuckle.
Hales Corners residents will recall Storey's support of the gardens adjacent to the Hale Summer Kitchen on Janesville Road. She and her children memorialized Dr. James Storey with a gift that lives on in the native plants on the property, including herbs used in the household.
For more information, call Bette Arey at (414) 425-5572.
- 2017 Franklin Flame Fastpitch tryouts
- Welcome Pokemon Go Players
- Magician Tim Stolba to Perform at Oak Creek Public Library
- KIDS From Wisconsin to Rock New Berlin West Aug. 19
- Melinda Myers to Present Twice Daily at The Wisconsin State Fair
- Queen of Diamonds Fastpitch Tryouts
- Annual Festival at Polonia Sport Club
- Croatian Eagles Team Wins Interational Tournament
- Support Law Enforcement Families on July 27 at the Point After!
- Ebenezer's Pareting Tip: What is Helicopter Parenting?