Player to watch: Already committed to NCAA D1 football subdivision national champion North Dakota State, returning NOW All-Suburban defensive end Alex Hahn (6-2, 219) will look to lead a better, faster defense this fall.
Date to circle: The Knights had the lead last year on archrival Franklin in an early season match-up but let it slip away in a 26-20 defeat. That loss ultimately cost Oak Creek a berth in the playoffs. So, a visit to the Sabers' lair Sept. 7 is high on the Knights' list of priorities this fall.
Strength: The split back/veer offense had some good moments last fall and will be potentially sound again behind seven returning starters. It will be led by four returning starters on the line led by the Veloz brothers and other returnees Aaron Lemke (center) and Steve Abbott (guard). Senior Virgil Hammond is the top returning running back, and Zach Harvey is another veteran tight end. Bartholomew is hoping that returning second-team All-Southeast offensive lineman Ian DeChambre will have a big impact in his new position of defensive lineman.
We say: The Knights still have holes to fill, but they have solid numbers, a big offensive line, a renewed commitment to success and the unstoppable Hahn. Nothing less than a state playoff berth will make Oak Creek happy.
A GLANCE BACK
Southeast Conference: 3-4
Outcome: Lost out on state playoff berth with wild 42-40 loss to Muskego in season closer
First team: Jordan Veloz (TE), Alex Hahn (DE)
Second team: Ian DeChambre (OL)
Honorable mention: Virgil Hammond (RB), Austin Sirovina (DE/OLB)
First-team losses: Lincoln Wylie (RB)
Coach: Mike Bartholomew
|Aug. 24||Menomonee Falls|
|Aug. 31||Racine Park|
|Sept. 14||Racine Case|
|Sept. 21||Ken. Bradford|
|Sept. 28||Ken. Tremper|
|Oct. 5||Rac. Horlick|
|Oct. 12||Indian Trails|
home games in bold
- Walks catch up to Oak Creek baseball team in state loss to Marquette
- Baseball: Big inning leads Marquette past Oak Creek in state semifinal
- Big inning boosts Oak Creek baseball team past Muskego and on to state
- Big third inning lifts Oak Creek baseball team past Franklin, 8-3
- Oak Creek baseball team beats Franklin to advance to sectional final
- 'No worries': Ellifson's hit earns Oak Creek the GMC tourney title
- Richter's 'big' hit leads Oak Creek baseball team past Franklin in GMC semis
- Baseball: D.J. Ellifson's single lifts Oak Creek baseball team to Greater Metro tourney title
- Oak Creek baseball team beats Franklin, 7-3, advances to GMC final
- Three Oak Creek softball players make All-Suburban team