The Oak Creek eighth-grade Junior Knights boys basketball team finished second in Division 1 of the Wisconsin State Invitational Championship Tournament in Marshfield and Stevens Point on March 26-27.
The tournament brought together 106 of the top community-based eighth-grade teams in the state, and champions were crowned in four divisions.
The Junior Knights played seven games in two days. In pool play, they beat Appleton West, 52-15, and Verona Area, 73-49, and lost to Sun Prairie, 55-37.
They tipped Brookfield Central, 40-38, in the round of 16, then downed Superior, 35-30, in the quarterfinals. They beat De Pere, 30-18, in the semifinals and fell to Sun Prairie, 41-33, in the final.
"Good defense and great teamwork were responsible for our success," said coach Steve Bautch.
Corey Jackson and Jamel McNutt were named to the Division 1 All-Tournament Team.
The Junior Knights have played together for two years and took part in 17 tournaments, earning 11 first places, two seconds and three thirds.
- John Rech
- Walks catch up to Oak Creek baseball team in state loss to Marquette
- Baseball: Big inning leads Marquette past Oak Creek in state semifinal
- Big inning boosts Oak Creek baseball team past Muskego and on to state
- Big third inning lifts Oak Creek baseball team past Franklin, 8-3
- Oak Creek baseball team beats Franklin to advance to sectional final
- 'No worries': Ellifson's hit earns Oak Creek the GMC tourney title
- Richter's 'big' hit leads Oak Creek baseball team past Franklin in GMC semis
- Baseball: D.J. Ellifson's single lifts Oak Creek baseball team to Greater Metro tourney title
- Oak Creek baseball team beats Franklin, 7-3, advances to GMC final
- Three Oak Creek softball players make All-Suburban team