Franklin - The Fire Department was called about 8 a.m. today to Franklin High School to investigate a report of a smell of natural gas.
The high school was evacuated while fire crews investigated the odor, said Meghan Dade, communications coordinator for the Franklin School District.
After the investigation, firefighters determined that the odor was not natural gas, and believe it came from a battery that was charging overnight in the school's auto shop. When the battery was removed and the area aired out, the smell was gone, Dade said.
The school day is continuing as normal.
"We take issues of safety seriously and we thank our students, staff and families for their cooperation," Dade said.
- Franklin Night Out Aug. 1 to kick off national event the following day
- Franklin resident Darlene Habanek to present at Quilt Expo in Madison
- News & Notes: July 28, 2016 issue
- Franklin school specialist is 'Making IT Happen' with technology
- State rep., write-in candidate, 19, seek Senate District 28 seat
- Things to Do: July 28, 2016 issue
- New pickleball courts to be painted at Ken Windl, Pleasant View Parks
- Franklin police report: July 28, 2016 issue
- Franklin Library to host Pokemon Go Night on August 11
- Websites to get new look, realignment