$8,500 raised to replace playground equipment
Greendale - The committee whose goal is to raise $15,000 to replace equipment at the 84th Street and Grange Avenue playground is halfway there.
MaryAnn Bialo, committee chairwoman, said so far, $8,500 has been raised.
"We've been at this about two to three years," she said.
Fundraising efforts slowed with the economy, Bialo said, but she still expects that new equipment will be installed and ready to use this spring or summer. The old equipment was rusty and unsafe and has already been removed from the site.
Bialo said the committee is considering replacing the old equipment - monkey bars, a swing set and merry-go-round - or creating a "green playground" using the natural landscape.
The playground is owned by the Greendale School District. Canterbury Elementary School is holding fundraisers this year to benefit the project.
Parent-Teacher Organization President Carla Gilmore said it was the students' idea to dedicate dollars received in their monthly fundraisers to the project, and she said she expects to collect between $4,000 and $6,000 by the time equipment needs to be purchased.
FHS recycling cell phones to defray cost of prom
Franklin - Franklin High School is collecting used cell phones and recycling them to raise money for this year's prom.
Jan Coenen, junior class advisor, said the school can raise on average $2 to $4 per phone collected, and monies raised will be used to defray the cost of tickets.
"Prom can be so expensive," she said, and tickets can be anywhere from $50 to $100.
Collection bins will be placed at the main office and at the gym, and cell phones can be deposited there until Jan. 31.
Coenen said there's no fundraising goal set, as this is the first year the recycling effort's been attempted.
"We don't know how much money it'll bring it because it's never been done before," she said.
For most models, personal data will be erased by the recycling facility, GRC Wireless Recycling of Florida.
Franklin schools holding kindergarten registration
Franklin - Kindergarten registration for the 2012-13 school year will be held 12:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Feb. 7 and 8 at the Education & Community Center, 8255 W. Forest Hill Ave.
Children must be 5 years old on or before Sept. 1 to enroll. To receive a registration packet or for more information, visit www.franklin.k12.wi. All registration packets will be mailed out in mid-January.
- News & Notes: July 28, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: July 21, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: July 7, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: June 23, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: June 16, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: June 9, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: June 2, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: May 26, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: May 19, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: April 28, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: April 14, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: March 31, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: March 24, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: March 17, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: March 3, 2016
- News & Notes: Feb. 25, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: Feb. 11, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: Jan. 21, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: Jan. 7, 2016 issue