Franklin High School evacuated due to unusual odor

May 9, 2013

Franklin - The Fire Department was called about 8 a.m. today to Franklin High School to investigate a report of a smell of natural gas.

The high school was evacuated while fire crews investigated the odor, said Meghan Dade, communications coordinator for the Franklin School District.

After the investigation, firefighters determined that the odor was not natural gas, and believe it came from a battery that was charging overnight in the school's auto shop. When the battery was removed and the area aired out, the smell was gone, Dade said.

The school day is continuing as normal.

"We take issues of safety seriously and we thank our students, staff and families for their cooperation," Dade said.


Local Crime Map



Latest Photo Galleries