Kevin Fischer is a veteran broadcaster, the recipient of over 150 major journalism awards from the Milwaukee Press Club, the Wisconsin Associated Press, the Northwest Broadcast News Association, the Wisconsin Bar Association, and others. He has been seen and heard on Milwaukee TV and radio stations for over three decades. A longtime aide to state Senate Republicans in the Wisconsin Legislature, Kevin can be seen offering his views on the news on the public affairs program, "InterCHANGE," on Milwaukee Public Television Channel 10, and heard filling in on Newstalk 1130 WISN. He lives with his wife, Jennifer, and their lovely young daughter, Kyla Audrey, in Franklin.
I think about my lovely wife.
Especially when I’m not with her.
There I was, buried in thick traffic on my way to
My radio choices:
WUWM: That means public radio. Public radio is usually very, very good, or very, very bad. Most of the time, very liberal. This morning, I switched the station.
WTMJ: News headlines and weather I had already heard. Switch to WISN.
Jay Weber had an outstanding segment that made me think of my wife who less than 24 hours ago had asked me if Governor Scott Walker could do anything about the sweet deals Jim Doyle gave to the tribes on gaming compacts. Jay asked his audience for a laundry list of agenda items the Governor and Republican-controlled Legislature should go after. All were great answers.
Listen to what his listeners had to say, or just read the following:
Helping build the agenda for Governor Scott Walker and the newly-elected Republican legislature
I asked my mostly conservative listeners to help build the agenda for Governor Scott Walker and the newly elected Republican legislature. Here is the amazingly long wish list. I do not agree with and/or endorse all of these, but here is the list. It’s a Jim Doyle/Wisconsin Democrat left wing nightmare:
1. Pass voter ID.
2. Eliminate same day voter registration.
3. Pass conceal carry.
4. Join the national lawsuit to repeal Obamacare.
5. Repeal combined reporting and pass a package of pro-business legislation.
6. Kill off the high speed rail project and all wasteful commuter train projects.
7. Kill off the Regional Transit Authority Board. Don’t create any boards that have taxing authority.
8. Bring back TABOR or some taxpayer bill of rights.
9. End the minimum law.
10. End all state mandates and subsidies for Ethanol.
11. Get rid of the mandatory emissions test for
12. End the state tax on Health Savings Accounts.
13. Repeal the Planned Parenthood sponsored Sex Education bill.
14. Allow school districts to negotiate for health insurance on the free market.
15. Create a rainy day fund from excess or unexpected revenues that pour into the state coffers during boom times.
16. Eliminate the state income tax on retiree pensions to help keep them in
17. Freeze the property taxes of retirees to keep retirees in
18. Move on reasonable Tort reform.
19. Undo the mandatory car insurance law that Doyle and the democrats passed as a gift to the trial lawyers.
20. Ten percent across the board pay cuts for all state employees.
21. Repeal the law that allows the state to kill off Indian team nicknames.
22. Investigate and reform the state’s child welfare system.
23. Go after the fraud in the Food Shares program.
24. End early retirement for public employees, so they can no longer live off of a state pension longer than they ever worked at the job.
25. Change the state law to make MATC and other tech school boards elected positions and accountable to the taxpayers.
26. Reinstitute the QEO for teacher pay.
27. Eliminate the rule that has
28. Drop the residency requirements for
29. Negotiate new or different compacts with the Wisconsin Indian tribes.
31. End any state funding of National Public Radio.
32. Stop the excessive building of roundabouts.
33. Reform the DNR. End gimmicks like. Earn-a-buck and the wholesale slaughter of herds as a ‘management tool’ for CWD.
34. Change the law to require DNR wardens to get search warrants before they can search cabins and property.
35. Repeal the statewide smoking ban.
36. End the ridiculous rule that says every state building project needs to set aside one percent of the total cost of the project for artwork.
37. Expand and/or allow for statewide School Choice.
38. Expand and/or allow for more Virtual Schools.
39. Increase the reimbursement rate for doctors who see patients on welfare.
40. Review, reform and reduce the number of people on Badgercare.
41. Review and repeal the so-called ‘smart growth’ environmental requirements and restrictions, which have hit the point of absurdity.